Sunday, December 26, 2010

Music: My Year In Review (part 1 of 6)

Here are the albums that were new to me in 2010. Nothing terribly deep or introspective but they did get me through several car trips, house cleaning frenzies, and crafting sessions. They are listed in the order in which I got them starting with Christmas of last year (2009).

Brooks & Dunn: #1's...And Then Some


Ever since I heard the song, "Boot Scootin' Boogie" years ago, I knew there was something about these guys I liked. My husband (who was kind enough to give this to me as a Christmas gift even though he can hardly stand listening to it) describes them as the Hall and Oates of country music which, I'll admit, is pretty accurate. I'm kind of sad that Ronnie and Kix (yes the dark haired guy's name is Kix) decided to go their separate ways but we'll always have their years of hit-making to look back on. These are the perfect songs to turn to when I need some punchy country twang.

Train: Save Me, San Francisco


I was so excited when I found out Train had another album coming out and even more excited when I heard them sing, "Hey, Soul Sister" on the today show to promote it. I have loved both of their previous albums and was pretty sure this new one would be a slam dunk. It did not disappoint. It is such a fun album and so dang catchy.

Dave Matthews Band: Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King


I don't consider myself a huge DMB fan but I have enjoyed most of their hits (yes, I'm that person). When I started hearing some of these new songs on the radio I actually liked them enough to put the album on my Christmas list. Overall, I think I'm still mostly a greatest hits kind of gal (you can hate me for that if you want). I don't hate this album but I don't love every song either.

The Killers: Day and Age


The killers are another band whose radio hits I've always enjoyed. Brandon Flowers sings with belly fire and I like that. When I heard the song, "Spaceman." I was compelled to seek out this album. I actually ended up getting it for my birthday and have gotten lots of listening enjoyment out of it since then.

Lady Antebellum: Need You Now


I'm not exactly sure why but I fell fast and hard for Lady Antebellum when they first came onto the country scene a while back. I loved their first album, so naturally I ran out and bought this one the day it hit the shelves. They are country but not too country. They're just the right amount of everything.

Darius Rucker: Charleston, SC 1966



I've always had a soft spot for Darius Rucker's voice (you know, Darius Rucker? Yes, he was the lead singer of that band. No, his name is not Hootie.). When I found out he had gone country it was almost too good to be true. His first country album was amazing so when this one came out, I had to have it. I do not regret my decision to buy it.

Keith Urban: Get Closer


Okay, let's face it, Keith Urban would have to record the worst, most ridiculous album in the world for me to not love it. At this point I'm pretty much a sucker for anything this guy does (the song, "Put You In a Song" is quite silly and I actually laughed out loud when I heard it for the first time but there is still something charming about it). He's kind of a goof ball but he's a hot goof ball who can sing and play the guitar like nobody's business- need I say more.

Christmas With the Chipmunks



This is pretty much the same album my family had on vinyl when I was a kid except it has a few bonus songs on it. Since it was such a big part of my childhood Christmas experience, I decided this year it was time to expose my young impressionable daughter to the magic of high pitched sped up vocals. Sofie loves it, especially "Jingle Bells."

Lady Antebellum: A Merry Little Christmas


Okay, so again with Lady Antebellum. This album doesn't have the best variety of Christmas songs on it but it is executed with that same flair that has made this band such a huge success. What can I say, I'm just a fan.

So there you have it- the music that helped shape the year 2010 for me.

No comments: