Wednesday, April 20, 2011

SOCKS!!! (again)

Okay, I know what you're thinking: "How many pictures of socks can she possibly post on this blog?"  Am I right?  Anyway, here is the latest finished pair, hot off the needles.  


I know they look like boring old charcoal grey* socks but they're actually more exciting than the others I've made because they have a 3 by 1 ribbing (knit 3, purl 1, lather, rinse, repeat) which was a pain at first but I did eventually find my groove and kind of ended up enjoying it by the end.  Also, while I'm spouting off knitting jargon, I might as well mention that, for the first time ever, I used size 1 needles (or 2.25mm for all you swell folks who know how to speak metric).  These needles felt a little bit like spaghetti noodles compared to the size 2 noodles...er, needles I usually use and the resulting stitches are noticeably smaller, giving these socks a nice dense look.

Finishing this pair makes me want to attempt some socks with more exciting patterns- rather than relying on self-striping yarn to make them look fun.  I guess that's what makes knitting (or yarn crafting in general) a life long journey...there's always another skill to master, countless techniques to attempt, and a nearly infinite amount of new projects to tackle.

*Well, mostly grey.  The very tip of the toe on the top sock is actually blue because, due to poor planning, I managed to run out of yarn about fifteen rows from the end.  I didn't want to go out and buy another ball of charcoal grey yarn just to complete fifteen rows so I dug out some scrap yarn that I remembered had a really long section of charcoal grey in the color repeat.  It was about thirty-two stitches short of being enough grey but I decided to just keep going  with the strand so I didn't have to deal with another break in the yarn.  I was a little annoyed  by the whole situation at first but the blue toe is starting to grow on me-  hmmm, maybe I should have that checked out by a doctor.

No comments: