Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Even More Axe Cop Mania


I am now the proud owner of Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #2!  It is filled with the true amazingness I've come to expect from the Axe Cop universe.  I don't want to give too much away but I thoroughly enjoyed the battle between the dinosaurs and the aliens and I really wish my car had a "sword button."  If you haven't already done so, go make yourself familiar with Axe Cop and then find yourself copies of Bad Guy Earth #1 and #2.

I fully intended to go back to The Realm Games & Comics to make my purchase (you can read my previous post about The Realm here) but a bonus day off from my usual Wednesday nanny job made it possible to venture out into the comic book buying world during the day while there were still other stores open.  I consulted the "interwebs" and used ComicShopLocator.com to find Beach Ball Comics (on the corner of Beach Boulevard and Ball Road- clever).  I had been to this store a couple years ago when I had to pick up the copy of  Scud: The Whole Shebang they were holding for my husband.  I remembered the store being a friendly place and decided, since I didn't have to go back to the Realm, I shouldn't.  A quick phone call confirmed that Beach Ball Comics did in fact have copies of Bad Guy Earth #2 available.  The guy on the phone even offered to hold one just for me- this place already had more customer service points than The Realm and I hadn't even gotten there yet.

Walking in to Beach Ball Comics was like a breath of fresh air compared to my previous Axe Cop comic book purchasing experience.  This store was inviting, friendly, and the guys working there seemed like they were just having a good day selling comic books.  I didn't feel self-conscious or nervous walking into this place.  I didn't feel like I lacked enough "nerd cred" to be there.    My two-year-old daughter immediately gravitated toward the familiar TY Spongebob Beanie Babies, whose mere presence was an indication that this was no Dungeons and Dragons lair.  This was a wonderland of comics, toys, and collectibles.  This was a place where I felt comfortable geeking out without worrying about whether I was geeking out properly about the right thing.

We had fun browsing and pointing out fun things to each other.  My husband was rather taken by the giant Hulk statue that welcomed us into the store and our daughter went out of her mind when she saw the R2D2 that was bigger than her (she totally could have done Kenny Baker's job).  When we were done ooohing and aaaahing over all the fun stuff, I went to the front of the store and told the guy behind the counter that they were supposed to be holding an Axe Cop for me.  On his way to the other end of the counter before he even got to where they keep the stuff they are holding for people, he said, "Oh, yeah.  Katie, right?"  I was a bit stunned that he remembered my name from our short phone conversation hours earlier.  I couldn't even get the guy at "the other place" to look me in the eye.  Just as I thought this place couldn't get any better, I noticed that my new copy of Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #2 was neatly sheathed in a sleeve of plastic (which made it look very official and important).  The Realm didn't do that- at least not for free.

Needless to say, I will be visiting Beach Ball Comics again.  As for The Realm...The Realm who?  I realize the "light and fluffy" side of comics isn't for everyone and I'm not an expert by any means on what a comic book store should or shouldn't be like; however, I would much rather spend my money at a place where the staff is friendly and welcoming than a place where I feel like I'm interrupting some exclusive nerd meeting just by walking in the door.  I happily signed up for the Beach Ball Comics email newsletter and agreed to be a series subscriber which means when Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #3 comes out, they will automatically hold one for me, Katie.

No comments: