Saturday, March 19, 2011

My New Trick

Some of you may remember that I made a birthday resolution a year ago to learn to play the violin.  In case you missed it, here is my Facebook status from March 19, 2010...
I've given myself a 5 year extension on my goals of learning to ride a motorcycle/speak Latin by 30 and decided to take up the violin as a consolation prize.  It's less dangerous/cheaper than a motorcycle and I already speak "music."  I don't expect to ever be playing the Philharmonic but my mother, a drummer since last year, is proof it's never too late to try something you've always wanted to do.
Well, in true "me" style, I waited till the last minute to do anything about it.  Here is my Facebook status from March 3, 2011...
I rented a violin today.  I'm not really sure what I'm doing but I did manage to torture Josh and Sofie with several stirring renditions of the G major scale.  Sofie actually quoted one of her Dr. Seuss books and said, "...very very very awful on her violin."  She's smart, a little too smart.
So, even though I've only been working on it for a couple weeks, I now present to you "Happy Birthday to Me."  It took about a bazillion takes to get this video and the perfectionist in me says that even this one isn't that great but I decided to cut myself some slack just this once because it's my birthday.



I was trying really hard to keep a straight face but wowza, check out that nostril flaring action! Yikes. Now, just for fun, here is one of the "outtakes." Don't worry, it's not the one where I use bad words. Enjoy!



I deeply apologize to any actual violin players out there. I don't assume for a second that I will ever be playing Carnegie Hall (at least not on the violin) and I know my technique is probably making you cringe. I'll work on it and if it never gets any better, I'll just tell people I'm a fiddle player.

7 comments:

Matthew Green said...

Bless you for your persistence and for the grin you've now stuck on my face.

So many thoughts... said...

wonderful!!! Again! Again! Way to go, Katie. You are an inspiration! :)

Katie K said...

Matthew: Thanks, I'm not so sure you could call it "persistence" yet- I've only been at it a couple weeks- but I'm so glad I could make you smile.

Susanne: Thanks! You were partly responsible for this because it was your idea to do the Artist's Way book, which is what motivated me to get off my behind and actually try a new art form instead of just talking about it.

BeeCreative said...

LOL - you did awesome, Katie! I can't wait to be invited to your first concert!

Katie K said...

Kari, Thanks for your kind words. I'll put you on the VIP list so you can get backstage passes for my first concert. =)

Jessica Snell said...

Where's the "love it!" button? :D

Katie K said...

Thanks Jessica! You're too kind. =)