Monday, May 24, 2010

Scrabble Letter Bag

During Easter weekend I played a rousing game of Scrabble with my aunt and uncle who brought their own Scrabble game and Official Scrabble Dictionary with them on their visit (my family is serious about Scrabble). During the game, it was brought to my attention that there was a huge slit in the side of the bag that holds the letters. My mind immediately began reeling and I decided then and there that I was going to sew a draw-string style pouch for these Scrabble letters before all of the "U's" tragically fell out and got lost rendering the "Q's" useless (well, almost useless- any Scrabble player worth their salt has memorized all of the acceptable "Q" without "U" words that can be played in a pinch). The fabric choice had been made for me earlier that same day during an emergency "my-coupons-expire-today" trip to the fabric store. My aunt, who was with me (I dragged everyone along because hey, who doesn't love a trip to a fabric store?), had spotted the fun retro-looking fabric and loved it but we couldn't find anything to match it up with so I passed on it. Well, I went back the next week and, despite my screaming daughter (yes, I've become that person at the store who everyone wishes would make their kid be quiet), managed to hunt down what I consider a good match. I did a little research on drawstring pouches and the rest is history.