Monday, January 24, 2011

Playdough Mania

Question: What do you get when you mix these ingredients with boiling water?


Answer: Playdough! Along with hours (well, at least minutes) of fun!


I managed to make six different colors using the old family recipe and six different Kool-Aid flavors...


The Cherry and Grape smell the best but the Tropical Punch is the most vibrant. Orange came out so-so, Pink Lemonade looks disturbingly fleshy, and Lemonade just looks like ordinary bread dough. In the future, I would love to experiment with alternative ways to color the playdough- like beet or berry juices. Each batch makes a ball about the size of a large grapefruit.

This also turned out to be a great opportunity for me (well, actually Sofie) to field test the infamous Play-doh Mat/Bag. So far, so good. There are still a few alterations I would like to make to my pattern but I feel okay selling the ones I already have made as they are.


I would also like to sell the playdough itself (or include a free blob of it with the purchase of a Mat/Bag) but not until I know approximately how long it lasts, whether or not it stains fabric, and whether I can find any other Kool-Aid colors or natural dyes to use.

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I think it is funny that you used Kool-Aid but are interested in natural dyes. :)

Anyway, we always just use food coloring in our homemade playdough. Works great.

Katie K said...

Haha! Emily, I guess I didn't make it quite clear that the reason I want to experiment with natural dyes is so I don't have to use Kool-Aid. Either way, I figure the more Kool-Aid I use for playdough, the less there is for people to drink.

I was reluctant to use food coloring because I assumed it would stain hands and clothing- am I wrong? I guess food coloring is ultimately what gives Kool-Aid its color so I guess it's probably the same thing.